Communication is the most important aspect of any relationship. I believe that issues like distrust, misunderstandings, confusion, and more fill up spaces that are lacking communication. What I have found to be the easiest way to create transparency and open the door for healthy communication in my relationships is by checking in verbally frequently.
Daniel and I check in with each other on a weekly basis. Words of affirmation are a shared love language between the two of us and we naturally are able to translate that into conversations checking in with each other to see how the other person feels about the relationship.
This doesn't need to be a forced or serious conversation. What I like about my check-ins with Daniel is that they're organic, comfortable, natural, and honest. What this does for us is keep us on the same page constantly. I'm never worried that there's an instance that was glazed over or being harbored. It also makes the relationship a lot more open and welcoming to speak on when things bother you because you're already conditioned to have these open and honest conversations with your partner.
Here are some of the questions we ask each other to check-in
1. What has been your favorite date so far?
2. What's something that I do that you like?
3. What's something that I do that you don't like?
4. Do you feel that we’re equal when it comes to planning dates?
5. Have you been enjoying the dates I pick out?
6. What is your favorite thing about being in a relationship?
7. Do you feel as though you still have enough time for yourself, friends, family, etc?
8. Are you comfortable with the rate the relationship is progressing?
9. What's something in our future (near or far) that you're looking forward to?
10. What ways do you feel our relationship has changed from the beginning to now?